The latest, greatest thing to come from Google was announced this week and has been rolling out to Gmail users as well. I finally got mine turned on yesterday and have a few thoughts.
If you want more information about what Google Buzz is, checkthis news search.
It most closely resembles FriendFeed, but it works like a cross between Twitter and Facebook. Being built into Gmail is a bonus, so you get one stop shopping. It seems to be pretty cool, but there are a few things I’m noticing.
- When sharing items from other sites, they double post
- It would appear that I’m limited to following only my friends or friends of friends
- It’s slow. Maybe not so much slow as it is laggy, especially when opening images.
- Sharing a video is slightly cumbersome and, as far as I know, it only works with YouTube. More testing is still needed
- Unlike FriendFeed, I’m not able to add any site to my feed that I like via XML. I thought that it was tied to the sites listed in my Google Profile, but that is not the case
I think it’s cool, but I have the distinct impression that it is not _quite_ done. Yet.