The Sunday Post #89
A list post. For things that…
I’m tired of hearing and/or talking about
A bit of a personal rant to close out this week or start the next, depending on how you see it.
- Replace the missing trim piece on my MINI My MINI has almost 230K miles on it. For me to replace that one piece, I would have to either find a piece that was at least 5 years old or replace them all. Also, see number 4 below. Suck it.
- Telling me to get an iPhone Another reason for this post is so I can just point people here next time they tell me this. I need a phone to make phone calls first, handle messaging second and the rest of the stuff doesn’t even get numbered. I need my calls to be clear and start when I dial and not end until either myself or the person I’m talking to hangs up. To me, perception is everything and there is nothing, to me, that is less professional than talking to someone on an iPhone, Sprint or TMobile phone in my area. Every 3 word is heard through a sea of static and 45% of the time the call drops altogether. Suck it.
- Problems with the Blackberry I’m getting especially annoyed with the Blackberry. Today, the Blackberry desktop caused a kernel panic on my Mac during an update. It also failed to backup my phone, again. I get that I have the wrong computer for the phone I use. I do. That being the case, if RIM is going to attempt to offer support for the Mac, I think they should invest a little more effort into it by at least making sure it works. Good thing for Google Sync. Suck it.
- People that tell me I must attend an event Look. I’m still barely employed and have the checking and savings account balances to prove it. Get off my back about it already, k? If you do see me at a major event, it is because I was paid to be there or a good chunk of my expenses are taken care of in other ways. If you think I need to be someplace so badly, then you pony up for my expense to get where ever you think it is I need to be. Ok pumpkin? Suck it.
- The iPad Unlike the iPhone, the iPad actually interests me. That said, nothing interests me so much that I want to read or hear about it all the time. Seriously. Also, see number 4 above. Suck it.
- Damn near anything political I don’t care if you are pro-Obama or anti-Obama, think communism would be cool, watch Fox News or CNN. I do have an opinion either way, but you don’t see me stuck in front of the television yelling at the news reader or posting continuously to my Facebook profile, do you? Suck it.
I’m sure that all y’all are also tired of hearing me complain about the Blackberry or the iPad or any number of things. Yea, I’m trying to get better. But, until I do.
iPod as an iPhone
There is a very good chance that I will be going to England over Memorial day weekend, for those of you that haven’t heard. MINI United 2009 is coming up and they have asked us to head on over and cover it for WRR and Motoringfile. Should be fun!
I have a couple of issues before heading over the pond however. One of them is communication. Verizon, while selling me this fine Blackberry World phone (even has a SIM card), wants to charge me an exorbitant amount of money to use that feature of my phone. I could go the Pre-paid SIM route, but getting the unlock codes for my phone is a serious pain in the ass (so I have read) and isn’t always successful.
Looking around a bit last night, and playing with teh lad’s iPod Touch, I had a lightbulb moment. No, a lightbulb didn’t actually appear, but you know what I mean. Look at the photo above and think on that for a minute.
Yes, it’s a microphone for the iPod Touch. Yes, it works with Skype on the iPod Touch. In fact, there is a whole bunch of them over at Touchmic.com. They work with current and previous generation iPTs.
Ok, it’s not an ATP, but it would work for me as long as I had WiFi, which I am pretty sure I will.
Has anyone used one of these mics, or any microphone, on the iPod Touch?
Holy Crap, What a weekend!
Most of you have already been keeping up with the goings on from A MINI Vacation in Vegas via Facebook and Twitter. But for those of you that haven’t, here is the skinny.
All of the video (so far) is up at WhiteRoof.tv. Here is a sample.
You can check out the photos here. Be sure to do a search at Flickr for AMVIV as there are a TON of great photos from some of the best MINI photographers in the country!
Still more audio, a W(t)F video hour and a post or two to follow.
If you are reading this, then I’m on my way to Las Vegas for A MINI Vacation in Vegas! For those of you that don’t keep up with my work over on the MINI side, AMVIV is one of the largest MINI Cooper gatherings in the United States, taking place for the last few years at Palace Station.
Something new this year will be the introduction of a live show (Saturday, around noon PST. Check your local listings) and a real video component. I will be taking the The Flip and the Canon. Flip video stuff you should be seeing over the weekend. Canon Video stuff will be showing up at Whiteroof.tv next week.
Have a good weekend y’all!