Embedding videos with the Visual Editor
A quick note out there to anyone using WordPress that is having trouble embeddeding video or other content while using the WordPress Visual editor.
I’m having problems with users that do this and then the entire layout breaks. The problem is the way the VE handles the embed code from video sites. I’m sure there is a plugin someplace to make this more elegant, but for now, here is the fix.
Go to the WP admin and start a new post
If you are going to post a video with text
- Write your post, leaving space for the video
- After the post is written, click Save and Continue Editing
- Click on the Code button
- Find the spot where you want to embed the video and paste the code
- Click Save and Continue Editing again, then the preview link to make sure it works
If you are going to post a video without text
- On the Write Post screen, click the Code button
- Paste the embed code
- Click Publish
I’ve heard a rumor that future versions of WordPress handle this better, but for now, this works pretty well.
Or, don’t use the VE. That’s the way I do it, but I think in HTML.
Next up, figuring why my layouts don’t like nested lists. Grrrr.